Published on 02 Nov, 2017

There are three (actually four, if you are a grammar nerd) words a homeowner never wants to hear – “you’ve got mould”. Mould – it comes in almost every color and it is pesky, to say the least. It is typically caused by bacteria (that we all have growing in our bathrooms) combined with the hot, humid environment that our bathrooms provide. Here’s how to get rid of it and prevent future infestations.

Causes

  • Improper Ventilation
  • Leaky toilets, sinks, and plumbing pipes
  • Damp materials such as rugs, wood, wallpaper, grout, drywall, and fabric.

How to kill it (the non-toxic way)?

Know that hydrogen peroxide (the same stuff people use to bleach their hair) is your new best friend. You should be able to easily find it in any pharmacy or you can order it from Amazon, if you’re the lazy type. It costs about £1.30 / 100 ml. Hydrogen peroxide is an antifungal and antibacterial solution that kills mold effectively on bathroom fixtures, floors and walls. Pour 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Saturate the moldy surface completely and leave it to sit for ten minutes. Next, scrub the area to remove all of the mold and mold stains. And finally, wipe the surface down.

Protection

To protect your bathroom, keep a spray bottle nearby and quickly mist the tiles and caulking after your shower, You can also use these natural anti-mould solutions that take virtually no effort to prepare:

  • Vinegar solution: Mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a clean spray bottle.
  • Tea tree oil solution: Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil into a clean spray bottle filled with water.

To properly care for your bathroom and remove the mould from tile grout, you will need a good scrub brush and baking soda. To effectively scrub the mold away, treat the grout between tiles and the caulking with a paste made of water and baking soda. Leave on for as long as you need to (you might have to experiment the first few tries).

Prevention

The best defense is preventing mold from occurring in the first place and this is best done by eliminating moisture from the bathroom. No matter where you live, a high moisture level in your bathroom makes mould almost impossible to get rid of, no matter how much you clean. Eliminating bathroom dampness is the key to keeping mould from growing. Make sure to run your bath fans during your bath or shower and for a half hour after. If the fans aren’t clearing out most of the moisture in your bathrooms after five to 10 minutes, your fans may not be moving enough air. If you don’t have an exhaust fan, install one. Don’t keep bottles of shampoo or shower gel, toys, or loofahs in the shower, as they provide places for mould to grow and hide. Also, wash your bathroom rugs frequently. If you have tile, seal the grout lines annually with a standard grout sealer to waterproof them.

Mould is something you don’t want to ignore. The respiratory problems, allergic reactions and unseemly sights all add up to reasons to really get that stuff out of your home. Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health issues. Some people are sensitive to molds. For them, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. Luckily, when it comes to products that kill mould, you probably have most of the ingredients in your house.

When your environment is clean, you feel happy, motivated and healthy.

Liliah Akita


Back to the Blog